21 Mar 2019

17- Chachapoyas, Peru

07th to 10th of March 2019 - Chachapoyas, Peru
I arrived with the night bus from Chiclayo in Chachapoyas on 07th of March around 7am. The bus was a bit delayed & the journey took around 10hrs. I pre-booked a hostel, so I went straight there and into bed. I seem to be the only person in the whole world, who is not able to sleep in buses or planes or so. I can only drift off for a few minutes, that’s it. I got a panoramic seat, top floor front row & the bus was warm inside, so the journey was still quite enjoyable.
On my first day in Chachapoyas there was a thunderstorm, as I was exploring the city in the afternoon, so I got sooking wet. Not good, as nothing drys here. Luckily it was the only really bad day during my stay here.
It was almost impossible to find anything to eat, which is vegetarian & not sweet. After I tried about 15 restaurants (I am serious!) and was already desperate & starving, I ended up with a bunch of rice and an egg. Better than nothing. Later I googled & found one restaurant which has veggie options, so I will eat here for the next days. It seems to be good & the prices are alright.

The first day tour I did was to Kuelap, an ancient walled city in the middle of nowhere. It was a good bus ride, than we took the teleferico over the mountains - wow - and than had to walk about 30mins uphill to Kuelap. It is being named a fortress all over the internet, but our guide ensured that we know that it never was one, it was just a walled city. Our 74year old tour guide Edgardo was very knowledgeable and very passionate about the place & surroundings & it was a very good tour with him. Also the group of people I did the tour with, were very lovely.
Before we went to Kuelap itself we went into a restaurant to pre-order our meal for later one. There I got a new name ‘Ana Gringa’ 😂.

The 2nd day tour I did was to Quiocta (cave with stalagmites) & Karajia (sacorphagis over a cliff). It was the same guide again - lucky me. We had lovely talks. Such an interesting person, who had such an amazing life. Very inspiring. As much as I love being at new places & seeing new things - I mostly enjoy the company & the people I meet.

As a 3rd day tour I had planned a hike to the waterfall, but unfortunately I felt very ill & therefore stayed in bed until it was time to catch the night bus to Trujillo. What a pity.





No comments:

Post a Comment

23- Machu Picchu

25th to 26th of March 2019 - Machu Picchu There are different ways to get to Machu Picchu from Cusco - take the bus - take the train - ...